Cosplay is the art of combining costume and play. This is a term used to describe people who love to enact their favourite movie, TV, video game or comic book characters. Characters are quite flexible and open and as long as feel a deep connection with the character you are playing, then it is a good idea to go to a convention dressed as the character.
So what are the things to consider when it comes to choosing a cosplay costume? Here are a few tips;
- Choose a character – With so many characters to choose from, it might seem like a daunting task to settle on one character out of the many. A good place to start is to list the characters you like and admire and start zeroing in on those who truly stand out for you. Consider the characters traits, the costume and the convention theme as well. The more similar your character to the theme, the more likely you are to be photographed which is a great thing.
- Be comfortable – This is important because most conventions run for quite a number of hours. Make sure whatever props you are aren’t too heavy or bothersome to carry around. Keep track of the weather; if its summer choose a light fabric which will keep you cool and if it is cool, make sure you are warm.
- Have a great time! – It is important that you enjoy yourself at the convention. All your hard work and effort will be wasted if you don’t have a great. So choose a character you can have fun representing and if you are comfortable in your outfit, having fun will come naturally too.
- Price – Have a budget in mind before coming up with your costume. This will keep your expectations realistic and keep you on track.
- Skill set – Can you make your own costume or would you prefer to buy it? Consider the time you have if you want to try make your costume or you can hire someone to make your dream costume.
Choosing a character you like, being comfortable in your costume and remember to have fun are a few parting tips to ensure you have a memorable time at the convention.